image poster for Inspire Week Post on Anuli's Blog

DAY SIX ~ YOU CAN MAKE IT | Inspire Week.


I have noticed one constant in life: with put-in effort comes achievement, no matter how fast or slow the process is.

I remember at the beginning of starting out as a blogger and a writer, on two different platforms, I lacked patience and  I saw that things were going too slow. I hardly got people viewing my work on both levels and I began doubting myself and my ability. I remember deleting my accounts, I almost did that with my blog but I just felt I should hold on.

The one problem with achievement, especially if the process is slow, is patience. The lack of patienc might make us miss things that are dire to our future plans.

Right now, I am regretting not waiting but I believe it is not too late for me. There, is also another problem. Feeling we have gone too far in life to still make it.

Let’s take the story of Harland David Sanders who first started working as a conductor in a streetcar company his uncle worked in. He later went on to enlist in the US army where he completed his service commitment as a teamster in Cuba. After being honorably discharged in 1907, his uncle secured him a job there as a blacksmith’s helper in the workshops.
He went on after two months to a job cleaning out the ash pans of trains from the Northern Alabama Railroad in Jasper, Alabama.

He then progressed to become a fireman (steam engine stoker) at the age of 16 or 17. In 1909, Sanders found laboring work with the Norfolk and Western Railway. He then found work as a fireman on the Illinois Central Railroad and this came after he had a family with Josephine King with two daughters a son who died from infected tonsils.

Sanders took to studying law at night by correspondence through the La Salle Extension University. He lost his job at Illinois after brawling with a colleague and then he moved to work for the Rock Island Railroad, leaving his wife and children wot move in with her parents. After a while, Sanders began to practice law in Little Rock, which he did for three years, earning enough in fees for his family to move with him.

His legal career ended after a courtroom brawl with his own client.

After that, Sanders moved back with his mother in Henryville, and went to work as a laborer on the Pennsylvania Railroad. In 1916, the family moved to Jeffersonville, where Sanders got a job selling life insurance for the Prudential Life Insurance Company. Sanders was eventually fired for insubordination. He moved to Louisville and got a sales job with Mutual Benefit Life of New Jersey.

In 1920, Sanders established a ferry boat company, which operated a boat on the Ohio River between Jeffersonville and Louisville. He canvassed for funding, becoming a minority shareholder himself, and was appointed secretary of the company. The ferry was an instant success. Around 1922 he took a job as secretary at the Chamber of Commerce in Columbus, Indiana. He admitted to not being very good at the job, and resigned after less than a year. Sanders cashed in his ferry boat company shares for $22,000 ($306,000 today) and used the money to establish a company manufacturing acetylene lamps. The venture failed after Delco introduced an electric lamp that they sold on credit.

Sanders moved to Winchester, Kentucky, to work as a salesman for the Michelin Tire Company. He lost his job in 1924 when Michelin closed their New Jersey manufacturing plant. In 1924, by chance, he met the general manager of Standard Oil of Kentucky, who asked him to run a service station in Nicholasville. In 1930, the station closed as a result of the Great Depression.

It was not until the age of 40 that Sanders went back to the cooking his mother taught him and started serving chicken dishes and other meals such as country ham and steaks from his dining table before moving on to use the service station a Shell Oil Company offered him in North Corbin, Kentucky, rent free, in return for paying them a percentage of sales as a restaurant. His local popularity grew and in 1939, food critic Duncan Hines visited Sanders’s restaurant and included it in Adventures in Good Eating, his guide to restaurants throughout the US.

In July 1939, Sanders acquired a motel in Asheville, North Carolina. His North Corbin restaurant and motel was destroyed in a fire in November 1939, and Sanders had it rebuilt as a motel with a 140-seat restaurant. By July 1940, Sanders had finalized his “Secret Recipe” for frying chicken in a pressure fryer that cooked the chicken faster than pan frying. As the United States entered World War II in December 1941, gas was rationed, and as the tourists dried up, Sanders was forced to close his Asheville motel. He went to work as a supervisor in Seattle until the latter part of 1942. He later ran cafeterias for the government at an ordnance works in Tennessee, followed by a job as assistant cafeteria manager in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

In 1952, Sanders franchised “Kentucky Fried Chicken” for the first time, to Pete Harman of South Salt Lake, Utah, the operator of one of that city’s largest restaurants. In the first year of selling the product, restaurant sales more than tripled, with 75% of the increase coming from sales of fried chicken. For Harman, the addition of fried chicken was a way of differentiating his restaurant from competitors; in Utah, a product hailing from Kentucky was unique and evoked imagery of Southern hospitality. Don Anderson, a sign painter hired by Harman, coined the name Kentucky Fried Chicken. After Harman’s success, several other restaurant owners franchised the concept and paid Sanders $0.04 per chicken.

Sanders believed that his North Corbin restaurant would remain successful indefinitely, but at age 65 sold it after the new Interstate 75 reduced customer traffic. Left only with his savings and $105 a month from Social Security, Sanders decided to begin to franchise his chicken concept in earnest, and traveled the US looking for suitable restaurants. After closing the North Corbin site, Sanders and Claudia opened a new restaurant and company headquarters in Shelbyville in 1959. Often sleeping in the back of his car, Sanders visited restaurants, offered to cook his chicken, and if workers liked it negotiated franchise rights.

Although such visits required much time, eventually potential franchisees began visiting Sanders instead. He ran the company while Claudia mixed and shipped the spices to restaurants. The franchise approach became highly successful; KFC was one of the first fast food chains to expand internationally, opening outlets in Canada and later in England, Mexico and Jamaica by the mid-1960s.


Long story cut short, Sanders is one example of someone who started (late) in his life. He goes against any saying that there is such a thing as being too late or old to start. We should all take a cue from him.

I will end with this, I intend on applying patience and long suffering to see that I make it, will you?

Thanks and stay inspired.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s